Young professionals should always keep healthy snacks at their desks. My recent job change temporarily derailed my healthy eating and fitness regime. And I slowly but surely have worked my way back out of the darkness. When I don’t eat healthy and workout regularly, I immediately feel my energy levels dip, and I find it hard to motivate myself to do anything. That’s why I wanted to share some of my favorite snacks that keep me fueled through the day and keep me from experiencing that dreaded crash towards the end of the work shift. If you are a religious coffee drinker, you might want to consider ditching the caffeine for a healthier alternative.
What to Grab Instead of Coffee
Though caffeine is great for the morning kick-start, it’s not a truly sustainable way to keep your energy flowing through the day. And it’s sure as hell not healthy to exist on coffee alone. So what should you be eating (or drinking) instead?
- Foods that are high in fiber, protein, and low in sugar (added sugar more specifically). Fiber helps keep you full longer and protein helps to maintain energy levels by slowing the absorption of sugar into the bloodstream (the main cause of energy spikes and sudden crashes). Look for snacks with at least 3 grams of fiber. I swear by Lara bars. These bars are made from whole foods like nuts, dates, and fruit so they are naturally sweet and packed with so much fiber. Plus they taste so yummy. My favorite flavor is peanut butter cookie.
- My personal secret to keeping cravings at bay are low calorie fizzy drinks. I’m a huge fan of Topo Chico, La Croix, and Kombucha. Kombucha has that added probiotic component that makes it a true health beverage. Most varieties are relatively low in sugar per serving (each jar has two servings, do the math).
- If you are not a fan of fizzy, try drinking more water (you know that clear stuff that doesn’t really have a taste?). It’s the healthiest beverage you could ever consume. Plus, it’s great at regulating hunger. Often times thirst can be mistaken for hunger. Don’t Be Thirsty!
- Berries are loaded with antioxidants, full of water, and are a guilt free sweet treat. Ditch your co-workers candy jar (sorry Kathryn, I still love you) and grab some strawberries!
- Air popped popcorn is a great way to get that crunchy texture you’ve been craving. Ditch the chips!
At my desk I have a drawer that I fill with snacks and goodies to get me through the week. In my drawer there’s dry oatmeal, stacks of Lara bars, usually some form of dark chocolate (I can’t resist), a banana, and popcorn or tortilla chips ( and I’ll bring salsa and keep it in the work fridge). I show up to work on Monday’s with a big paper grocery bag and fill ‘er up! I don’t like being caught without something healthy to nosh on. I’m so blessed to work at an amazing company that provides free snacks to it’s employees, but the snacks are not always the healthiest. When I’m in the mood, I’ll opt for the nuts and dry Frosted Mini Wheats in the employee break room. I hope this post has been helpful for someone looking for a little creativity when it comes to shaking up their office snack routine. Stay healthy, stay hydrated, and Happy first day of Spring!
For everyday beauty, style, and sustainable fashion inspiration, subscribe to my email list!
Sustainable fashion is the future of fashion.